Monday, May 19, 2008

They Smell Like Trouble

I am going today to the Sermon Seminar in Austin. I am supposed to speak at lunch on Tuesday and Wednesday. The speeches are supposed to be, as I understand it, light and humorous with a bit of lurking truth. Sounds like I am about to channel Joel Osteen. 

Actually I welcome the opportunity to speak at lunch. At a lunch I can follow the pattern of my homiletics guru Chris Rock, who preaches a rather strong brand of ethics in a comedic lattice. His language is not great, but you hear a Stoic street preacher if you listen through the profanity. 

Well enough of the cognitive dissonance created by mentioning Osteen and Rock in the same piece. What I am hoping to do in Austin is talk about church members on Tuesday and church leaders on Wednesday and make the point that they both smell like trouble, with apologies to Lynn Anderson and his book, They Smell Like Sheep. The fact is that any casual observation of church life will argue that we are all just a mess. Even the New Testament bears witness to the unusual character of some of the saved. Demas and Euodia raise questions about us all. Even Paul was evidently not exactly plain vanilla. I have given up on the notion that church is about being with all the wonderful people. 

I have decided that church is about being about knee deep in the slop of life with all the others who are knee deep, too. When we run into one another and we're being weird, we should just hug, pray and keep slogging on to glory. Even the best of us, whoever that one is, is a mess. But all we messes are being saved. God loves us. We smell to high heaven, and He loves us. Let us love one another.

5 Comments:

At 4:14 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Eddie, Mom just sent me your blog address and I'm grateful. I wish, yet again, that Jarrod and I could attend the sermon seminar at AGST, it would have been great to see you and listen in on your "talks."

BTW: Thank you for the great recommendation on the family doc. He's great!

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Eddie said...

Thanks, Sarah.
The material on the Old Testament from Rick Marrs (Genesis) and Mark Hamilton (Amos) was excellent. Dwight Robarts (Hebrews) was really good, too.
Blessings to you

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Eddie said...

I need to mention Jeff Peterson's work on Galatians. It was very helpful.

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I just re-read this post. It seems that you may have learned more during this seminar than those you taught, huh? I will miss you greatly, but my hope and prayers are that this is an extraordinary time in yourlife...a new beginning that lifts all of those around you to the highest place they have ever been. For I know you have done that for me and I am grateful.

A link for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofYrt9ymTRo&feature=related

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger deannalove said...

Eddie, I am looking forward to meeting you on Oct. 26 at the UA Homecoming. You may remember my late husband, Bill Love. He always spoke highly of you. I feel that your call to UA is an answer to many prayers, and I add mine for your work there. I appreciate reading your blog on "the slop of life" in the church. How wonderful that no matter how we "smell," our Father loves us and saves us!

Deanna Love

 

Post a Comment

<< Home